Marching Band Parades
Alpine Parade Details
The parade starts at 10am. The staging area of the parade is Mountainville Academy located at 195 South Main Street in Alpine. The roads close at 9am (from the Alpine round-a-bout to Creekside Park). If you drop your student off at 9am or after, the student will need to be dropped off at Jewel Kade parking lot (next to the Alpine round-a-bout), and the student will walk north about a block to Mountainville Academy. Carpooling from the school to Alpine is recommended. The parade ends at Alpine Elementary located at 400 East 300 North. Students will need to be picked up at Alpine Elementary after the parade.
Please eat a good, well-balanced breakfast each day before coming to camp; remember - you are an athlete, training and working out for 4-5 hours per day. You will require all the protein and carbohydrates that a solid breakfast supplies in order to keep up with our training routine.
Parade Camp takes place mostly on the "bus-loading zone" road around the high school, out in the sun on the hot, black pavement; staying completely hydrated is crucial, and feet, ankles, and exposed skin can take a beating without proper protection. Please apply sunscreen before leaving home, and bring additional sunscreen to reapply frequently throughout the morning.
It is recommended to gather all the items listed below and keep them together in a small backpack or duffle bag that goes with you to every marching practice or performance on the schedule; develop this habit, and you will avoid the embarrassing "I forgots", and be empowered to take care of your own personal needs right on the spot.
What to bring to Parade Camp and EVERY summer practice/performance:
- Your instrument/equipment
- Several sharpened pencils
- Comfortable clothing: ie: athletic shorts, t-shirt (must meet LPHS Dress Code requirements). Please avoid jeans and cargo pants/shorts; they become increasingly uncomfortable and constricting as the temperatures rise.
- Sturdy, close-toed athletic shoes: (no flip-flops or thin-soled canvas shoes) - we pound a lot of pavement, and good shoes are a must!!
- A large water container filled with ice water: (many veteran band members like the red Coleman1-gallon insulated jug, available at Walmart). Please write your name on both pieces (container and lid) of the water container you bring, no matter what type; there will be many identical containers in a group as large as ours.
- Extra sunscreen and lip balm: to be reapplied during water breaks.
- Hat: with a brim to shade your face; a light towel or old t-shirt is also helpful if the back of your neck tends to burn - tuck one end of the towel under the back of your hat, then let the towel hang down your back.
- A few band-aids, safety pins, etc. - for the inevitable minor emergency.